Friday, April 11, 2008

Choosing that special name

After knowing all about the babies heart defects, we knew he would be a special baby. Infact that God was giving us this baby as a gift and was entrusting us to take care of one of his special children. We knew that he needed to have a special name. I had picked out Bronson, but it means "Brown ones son", that just wasn't special enough, specially considering that both my husband and I are very white. My husband had wanted the name Calvin, but the meaning for Calvin is bald, and that wasn't special enough either. So we looked, and looked and looked. It seemed like all the names with great meanings were either really plain or really different like Ismeal. I needed one I liked. We chose Dominic, because it was a little different but we liked it and it means "Belonging to God", it was perfect.

There is a poem by Florence Correa, that I believe describes the meaning of Dominic's name and the way we needed to think about this baby. It is called "The Lent Child" :

"I'll lend you for a little while this child of mine" God said "For you to love the while he lives and mourn for when he's dead, it may be one or two years, or forty two or three; but will you till I call for him, take care of him for me? He'll bring his charms to gladden you and- (should his stay be brief) - you'll have his lovely memories as a solace for your grief I cannot promise he will stay, since all from earth return; but the lessons taught below I want this child to learn. I've looked the whole world over in search for teachers true; and from the things that crowd life's lane - I have chosen you. Will you give him all your love? Nor think the labor vain? Nor hate me when I come to take this lent child back again?" I fancied that I heard them say. "Dear Lord thy will be done. For joys thy child will bring, the risk of grief we'll run. We will shelter him with tenderness, we'll love him while we may and for the happiness we've known forever grateful stay. But should Thy angels call for him much sooner than we've planned, we'll brave the grief that comes and try to understand."

No comments: